About Me

Reston, VA, United States
Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Helper

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

No Weed Violations!

Yesterday, my daughter, Liz, told me we could get on a list for a larger plot in the future, but we have to have a year with no weed violations. There is a certain tolerance for weeds in the garden plots. This is 100% organic gardening so there are bound to be the odd weed or two. What Liz meant is that when the weed police come around, the whole garden plot can't be full of weeds. Guess who sends out the weed violation notices? Yes, that's one of Liz's many job duties.

I wish I had a newer picture to share. We have completely mulched our garden with organic leaf mulch and it looks beautiful. I did weed yesterday morning and had a small handful of weeds.

We do have one small area that may have weeds but it's too early to tell. I direct sowed some Foxglove, Poppies and Daisies. The first two have micro seeds which means initial growth is also micro. Since they are so small, I am not sure yet what is weed and what is successful germination, so I am leaving them alone until they get the 2nd or 3rd set of leaves. Then I will be able to identify the flowers vs weeds. I've never really direct sown in regular garden soil. I've always dug out a trench and filled it with store bought good quality potting mix. It's usually finer than regular dirt very distinctive. I always did this so that I would know where my seedlings were. We have decided to embrace the organic way and see what happens. I just hope I can figure out what are flowers and what are weeds before the weed police arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment