About Me

Reston, VA, United States
Wife, Mother, Grandmother, Helper

Friday, June 17, 2011

We Have Carrots!

Last week we planted 2 types of carrots...short ones and long ones. Yesterday a quick trip to the plot revealed successful germination. They only have their "milk leaves" so we will wait to thin them once the next set of leaves appears.

Many years ago we had an old house on an acre and a half. We couldn't really afford to furnish it with the fine antiques it deserved, but we did what we could. It had a new roof and a nice paint job on the outside. We figured out quickly that if we transformed the gardens, the rest didn't matter. We knew that at one point, the house had gardens, so we cleared brush by hand and with Lazarus (my mom's 25 year old lawn mower that wouldn't die). We discovered a terraced garden in the back and the 75 year old daffodil patch.

We created our garden from this.
I knew I wanted flower gardens and that I needed alot of them. I spent the winter months pouring over seed catalogues, going to the library, talking to neighbors. This was before Al Gore invented the internet. I learned everything I needed to be able to grow flowers from seeds, root cuttings, and plant divisions. Luckily, I had neighbors who shared flowers with me. It was during that time that I learned that the first 2 leaves on a plant are called "milk leaves". It seems like it's a reference to infants. It's just one of those little things that is stored in the brain and you wonder "why do I know that" and the lovely memories come flooding back.

1 comment: